Final Major Project- Final Outcome

My exhibition space is finally complete and I am so happy with it! I decided to print my typographic wall on vinyl and don’t think it could have looked any better! I also printed two vinyl circles, one that explained what I wanted the experience to be like for the audience, encouraging them to take a label and stick up their thoughts on the wall, and also another to encourage the audience taking a conversation card.

The only thing I would say is that I think my book could have been printed better. I don’t think it did my designs any justice. The printers I went to just didn’t do the job I was looking for. After printing my book I had to ask to get it done again as it just wasn’t at the standard I was looking for. I sat down with one of the workers to ask what would be the best way to print but she didn’t seem to have any idea, just giving me examples of different paper weights. I wanted the book to look as professional as possible but in the end I was handed a second print that had been ripped slightly and just not the way I wanted it, but there was no time to get it printed again. This is something that I’m going to have to deal with in the future but now I know I’m going to have to think about exactly how I want my work printed before, so there are no issues. But I’m also never going to go back to that printers again…

Apart from that I am really pleased with the work I have produced and I’m looking forward to seeing how the audience will interact with my space but also with each other!

Advertisements

Final Major Project- Final Wall Design

So I had to change the layout of my wall from horizontal to vertical. As we had limited in our exhibition I had to rethink my design but in the end I think it worked out for the better. It shows a clear path as you read from top to bottom. I also liked the idea of it being a path to a broader connection. I wanted to make sure the message would flow so I had to use specific important points from the book in order for each sentence to link together. But I also wanted each point to stand out on it’s own so I used the black and white alternatively as well as bringing the opacity down on the white to break it up otherwise it would have looked too much for the eyes.

Here is my development where I changed the sizing of some words as they were overpowering the most important words which are ‘WE BELIEVE’ ‘WE ARE’ WE NEED’. I also mocked up what the wall could look like once the audience had stuck their labels up.  I think the end outcome will look really interesting and even more engaging as people will start to read what other people have to say.

Screen Shot 2017-05-11 at 18.59.04

My final design flows a lot more now as the words carry on from each other and have more of a story after I changed some of the messages towards the bottom. I’m really happy with the final outcome and I can’t wait to see what it will look like on vinyl. I think vinyl will really compliment the design as it will be part of the wall.


Final Major Project- Dots

Dots represent connections. To get people to interact with my space I thought it would be a nice idea for them to have their say, but I had to think about how I would actually get them to do this! I wanted them to be able to write their thoughts and opinion on the topic  and it finally came to me to use stickers, DOT STICKERS! I wanted all my work to tie together and relate to my concept and through the use of dots I could do this!

-A dot that gets bigger as you read on through the book acting as a visual metaphor.

SpreadSpreadSpread2

– Dot labels that can be written on that represent a connection when the audience puts their say on the wall.

– The pattern on the conversation cards is a polka dot pattern that represents the audience coming together and connecting.

Business_Card_Mockup_1.jpg


Addiction- Final Outcome

DSC_0354

DSC_0350DSC_0347DSC_0348DSC_0352DSC_0351

For some reason that I can’t explain the colours just won’t come out right on WordPress but here are my final design spreads.

I’m really happy with the final outcome, I tried to keep the constructivism style but turn it into something more contemporary and I think it works really well. I like how different it is.

The revealing pages also worked better than I had planned and give the book that extra edge. I think it’s something that will really intrigue people to pick it up and read.


Addiction- Prototype

I put together a quick black and white prototype to see how the book would bind together. It’s actually quite tricky but I really like the playfulness with it.


Final Major Project- Expressive Type

I really liked the idea of using expressive type throughout my project. The story of my book has been put together as if someone is really trying to send a message with loads of key words and phrases to go alongside it. I thought it would look really eye catching if I used brush fonts so slather and overlay the body text showing passion for the message trying to get put across.

Spread2Spread4

Here is two examples of what I was going for and I think they really emphasise each key section within the book.


Final Major Project- Wall Development

TYPE WALL2Screen Shot 2017-04-25 at 09.55.50

Before I decided that I wanted to use expressive typography, I put together this first draft where I just took all the research I had conducted and created this sort of infographic typography design. I liked where the idea was going but I knew it needed a lot of work as it didn’t have much of a aesthetic look to it, it didn’t have enough life to it.

After finding my inspiration from expressive typography I then redesigned the wall and made it more fluent and lively. It has a much more interesting style.